Devon Contractors was established in Exeter by the Murrin Family in 1946, and became an incorporated, limited company in 1953. The business quickly established itself as a local builder, capitalising on the abundance of building work that was available at the end of WWII. In the late fifties the business expanded into agricultural and industrial projects, and many local farms still have barns, warehouses and stores built by Devon Contractors that are over sixty years old.
Growth continued over the following decades until by the late eighties the Company was supported by separate agricultural buildings, minor works, civil engineering and decorating departments, in addition to general construction.
In the early nineties the Murrin family sold each separate department as an independent business and Devon Contractors consolidated itself under new ownership primarily in the areas of industrial buildings and commercial units. The company prospered in the later stages of the 90's by diversifying into the leisure, retail, education and healthcare property sectors.
Early in the new millennium, the Company came under a new Directorship, who have established a firm public sector client base over the past ten years. Devon Contractors are now in a confident and progressive position to achieve steady growth over the next decade.
In 2016 Devon Contractors celebrated their 70th anniversary.